The training course in Sandplay therapy offers subsidies for the acquisition, use and enhancing of knowledge in Sandplay based on the teachings of Dora Kalff and concepts of the Analytical Psychology as proposed by Carl G. Jung. The course also aims to monitor the development and deepening of the professional practice in Sandplay.
TRAINING PROCESS FOR BECOMING A SANDPLAY THERAPIST
The training process in Sandplay therapy requires the confluence of 4 main instances:
a. Therapeutic process in Sandplay
Going through a Sandplay therapy process is the very foundation of the formation of the candidate. The minimum requisites are:
Paragraph 1: The candidate must complete one hundred hours in Sandplay therapy process, with a minimum of 30 scenes, with a therapist that is an active member of IBTSANDPLAY/ISST.
Paragraph 2: Fifty hours of therapeutic process in Sandplay that were completed previous to the beginning of the training process in Sandplay, achieved with a member of IBTSANDPLAY/ISST, will be validated.
b. Professional practice
The candidate must begin or maintain his or her professional practice as therapist during the training period, at his own office or at the institution.
c. Individual and group supervision
The candidate must go through 50 hours of group supervision and take part in the supervision sessions set in the training course program.
Besides that, the candidate must go through 30 hours of individual supervision with a teaching member of IBTSANDPLAY/ISST.
Paragraph 1: The group supervision is part of the program and the candidate must participate in all of them.
Paragraph 2: The mandatory individual supervision sessions will be conducted by 3 supervisors, for a minimum of 10 hours with each IBTSANDPLAY/ISST teaching member. The objective is to deepen reflection about the relationship between therapist and patient, and this is the reason why the supervisor observes the candidate presenting one or more than one case (the number of cases depends on supervisor).
Paragraph 3: The candidate will be in charge of the payment of the first 15 hours of individual supervision. After confirmation of these sessions, IBTSANDPLAY will be responsible for the investment in the remaining 15 hours.
Paragraph 4: The candidate will receive a list with the names of available supervisors.
d. Training course content
The seminars are composed by pedagogic techniques that include workshops, mobilizations, and clinical discussions with the objective of enhancing knowledge, deepen theoretical knowledge, and symbolic elaboration of Sandplay.
During the training course, candidates will be assessed by teaching members of IBTSANDPLAY.
Paragraph 1: Activities that demonstrate the accomplishment of requisites will be evaluated: presence and effective participation in seminars (reading, comprehension, symbolic relations), workshops, clinical meetings, and supervision sessions.
A tutor will follow the candidate since the beginning of the training course, making sure all phases of the learning process are fulfilled in accordance with IBYSANDPLAY/ISST guidance.
Paragraph 1: the candidate choses a tutor in the beginning of the course among teaching members of IBTSANDPLAY that were confirmed as tutors by the teaching director.
- The candidate is entitled to have 1 annual meeting with his or her tutor during the first year of the training course and 2 meetings during the second and third years of the course.
- The tutor member is responsible for reporting the teaching director on the training process of the candidate. The tutor gathers all the supervision and therapy statements, as well as any other confirmation required by IBTSANDPLAY/ISST.
- Any interruption in tutoring or change in tutor during the training process must be immediately communicated to the teaching director and the administrative-financial director.
- The tutor may have a maximum of 3 candidates under tutoring.
Paragraph 1: the tutor is in charge of helping candidate in choosing the final case study and orienting on its form and content, on the selection of readers and any other issues that may arise.
Paragraph 2: by the end of the training process, the candidate fills in, under tutor’s orientation, a form (Appendix D/E) that will be sent to readers attached to the final case study.
Paragraph 3: the tutor communicates candidate the result of the final case study assessment, including the need for reviewing parts of the paper, in case of conditional approval.
Paragraph 4: if the readers of the final case study do not reach unanimity of opinion, the tutor should organize a meeting among all readers.
The articles that are necessary to complete the training course in Sandplay therapy should contain:
a. A presentation of one symbol study of your choice, called “Symbol Study – 1”, based on theoretical references, written in a minimum of 10 pages and a maximum of 20.
b. A presentation of one symbol study of your choice, called “Symbol Study – 2”, that must include clinical material, written in a minimum of 10 pages and a maximum of 20.
c. A presentation of the “Final Case Study”, containing a Sandplay therapeutic process that has come to the end, written in a minimum of 30 pages and a maximum of 50.
Paragraph 1: The candidate will receive all orientation for producing these papers from his or her tutor.
TRAINING COURSE STRUCTURE
a. Teaching members of IBTSANDPLAY:
Denise G. Ramos
Edna G. Levy
Margareth Lury Yoshikawa
Reinalda M. Matta
Renata W. Horschutz
Sylvia M. Portella
Zilda M. P. Machado
The seminars include pedagogic techniques that comprehend workshops, mobilizations, and clinical discussions, aiming at the expansion, deepening, and symbolic elaboration of Sandplay.
c. Synthesis of the training course program:
* The detailed schedule will be handed to candidates during the opening class.
The course is compounded of three parts:
- 1st year: historical and theoretical basis of the Sandplay therapy;
- 2nd year: clinical practice of the Sandplay therapy;
- 3rd year: Sandplay in specific interest areas.
- The monthly seminars are led by teaching members of IBTSANDPLAY and will last 6 hours: 4 hours in the morning period and 2 in the afternoon.
- Open lectures on complimentary themes last two hours and are designed for candidates, IBTSANDPLAY members, and the general public, or The Symbol Study presentation lasts 2 hours and is made for candidates and IBTSANDPLAY members.
d. Duration, schedule, frequency and training period
Duration: three-year training course, adding up to 10 annual meetings held in the city of São Paulo, Brazil, at IBTSANDPLAY.
Fridays, from 9 AM to 7 PM (seminars).
Saturdays, in the morning, Group Supervision (2 hours).
Frequency: The course will be held once a month, on the second week of each month (except for holidays), comprising 10 hours per month.
Total amount of hours:
• 240 hours of content comprehending theory and practice;
• 50 hours of group supervision;
• 30 hours of individual supervision;
• 40 hours of clinical practice (with patients of IBTSANDPLAY’s social clinic);
• 6 hours of tutoring.
LOCATION OF TRAINNING COURSE CLASSES: Rua Deputado Lacerda Franco, 300, cj. 44, Pinheiros. CEP 05418-000, São Paulo, SP.